Why Pumpkin is called zero-fat food?
Our body needs a healthy diet and regular exercise to keep healthy. Generally, we give less attention while eating and neglect that food (fruits/cereals/vegetables, etc.) is enriched with nutrients. Pumpkin is an amazing food that is highly enriched with multiple vitamins, minerals, proteins, and amino acids. Let’s discuss why the pumpkin is called zero-fat food. We also let you know the nutritional value and why it is used worldwide.
A brief intro about Pumpkin
Pumpkin is broadly cultivated in North America. This Orange color fruit is used to make soups, salads, smoothies, and more. Pumpkin calories and health benefits are widely known due to their nutritional benefits and are consumed throughout the year. The major producer of Pumpkin includes China, Mexico, Ukraine, and Egypt apart from India and North America
It is majorly grown during Kharif season (Monsoon season) and also in Summer throughout India. India is the second-largest producer after China. In India, Pumpkin is harvested almost in every state. The delicious South Indian food ‘Sambhar’ is incomplete without Pumpkin. In rural areas, people use to prepare different types of vegetables, curry, and sweet chutney.
Important: Pumpkins have been put in the category of Fruit according to the botanist because it is a seed-bearing plant. But, it is a vegetable as well because pumpkins are eaten as a whole like leaves, stems, roots, flowers, and tubes.
With 100 grams of Pumpkin, the quantity of fat would be 0.1 Gram. Pumpkin contains ZERO Fat (Saturated Fat, Polyunsaturated Fat, Monounsaturated Fat, and ZERO Cholesterol. If we are not eating pumpkin we are absolutely neglecting our HEART. Many researchers and doctors have found that Pumpkin’s health benefit is awesome because it is highly enriched with potassium and fiber that lowers high blood pressure and maintains the sodium in our body. The presence of antioxidants, which greatly helps in lowering ‘Bad Cholesterol’ i.e. LDL
Pumpkin – Nutritional Facts
It is a rich source of Protein, Fiber, Carbohydrates, Vitamin A, Beta-Carotene, and Potassium. Pumpkin is God’s ultimate gift of human health. We are giving much importance to this healthier fruit due to its amazing health benefits. It has low glycemic properties where nutritional experts recommend that it is highly recommended to those who have a high blood sugar level. Due to the low glycemic load, it is highly recommended for sugar patients and is quite safe to eat.
It is fully loaded with Vitamin A and C which is good for the eyes and immune system. They help our heart, lungs, kidneys and other major organs work properly.
It is also optimally enriched with other vitamins like Folate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, and Thiamin which are equally important for health and helps in the digestion of food and nourishes the body.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin and Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin is delicious, highly digestible, and fibrous food which is very much recommended for overall health and development. In western countries, doctors recommend a healthy diet for growing children. The nutrition-loaded vitamins and minerals are very much needed for tissue growth and overall development.
- Pumpkin is also enriched with protein and micronutrients. An average dose of protein can be obtained in a cup of pumpkin, but if we want to take more than then we must go for canned pumpkin in the form of smoothies to enjoy the flavor and to boost the protein intake.
- The Health benefits of pumpkin are numerous. Pumpkin’s leaves contain highly essential vitamins like A and C. These help in improving eyesight, skin, and hair.
- Vitamin C helps in removing scars and wounds and also helps in maintaining bone density and teeth.
- Pumpkin is rich in beta-carotene, a natural pigment that makes orange color or light yellow color. Beta-carotene helps to maintain healthy skin, vision and heals mouth ulcers and also corrects itching problems.
- If we consume Pumpkin regularly and add to our regular diet, then we can maintain our blood pressure, keep our heart in a healthy condition.
- It nourishes our skin and removes scars and wounds slowly to make our skin shiny and silky.
- Pumpkin seeds are full of nutrients, rich in antioxidants, zinc, iron, amino acids, magnesium, etc. If you eat daily approx 20 to 25 grams of pumpkin seeds it will give you approx 150 calories. You will be fit and fine always.
- Antioxidants help reduce inflammation and provide a protective layer of cells from further damage with moving free radicals in the blood.
- Some research and medical survey reports suggest that Pumpkin and its seeds are seen to reduce the risk of certain cancers.
- It also reduces the chances of prostate cancer, improves urinary functions, and keeps the kidney in a healthy condition.
- The pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium and we should know that the optimum level of magnesium helps to maintain blood sugar levels, blood pressure, and bone health. It also reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the good cholesterol (HDL) so that your heart gets improved blood flow and arteries may not have plaque inside.
- Pumpkin seeds are a good source of dietary fiber. As we know fiber is good for our digestive system and helps in lowering fat so that you stay away from obesity. That’s why we call it a zero-fat fruit that helps in reducing fat.
- Pumpkin seeds help those who have sleeping trouble. Zinc and magnesium help to convert tryptophan (an amino acid that helps promote sleep) to serotonin that relaxes your mind from stress and gives sound sleep.
When and how much to eat Pumpkin Seeds?
- Approx 30 grams of pumpkin seeds may be taken in evening snacks so that you may get instant energy. It will remove your chills throughout the day and you can feel energized.
- If you have insomnia or sleep problems, then you can consume pumpkin seeds, even 15 minutes before bedtime, which will remove your sleep disorders to a great extent.
- Pumpkin seeds may also be taken in during breakfast to get the best absorption of zinc in the body. We know the pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc and vitamins. It also carries antioxidant that is good for heart health and to maintain blood pressure level.
If you want to look healthy, fit, and beautiful till old age, never forget to eat Pumpkin.