Health benefits of Carrots
We have been listening to our parents and family doctors/consultants about the carrot’s health benefits. Now we must know how much it is beneficial and what amazing minerals and antioxidants it has.
The carrot is a root vegetable which easily available in the market throughout the year in India and widely grown in China, European countries, Uzbekistan, Russia, the United States, and Ukraine. In 2016, China itself produced 48% of the total production means world production was 42.7 million tonnes and China’s contribution was 20.5 million approx.
Carrots belong to the “Apiaceae” family. The botanical name of the carrot is “Daucus Carota”. The carrots are usually in orange and red color but in some areas, it is available in black, purple and yellow color.
It is crunchy, tasty and proved to be a perfectly healthy food which contains high nutritional values. Carrots are enriched with or you can say the good sources of beta carotene, fiber, Vitamin K1, potassium and 6 different powerful antioxidants i.e. Beta-carotene, Alpha-carotene, Lutein, Lycopene, Polyacetylenes, and Anthocyanins.
The health benefits of carrots are amazing that’s why it is eaten in raw form, juice and boiled. You will get very good results once you start adding in your regular diet. It is very useful in weight loss (enriched with fibers) and works wonder in improving eye health and gives power to eye muscle as well as lower your cholesterol level.
Let’s start and find what the major health benefits of Carrots are!!
Health benefits of Carrots – An overview
1. It is anti-aging, good for skin and hairs: The beta carotene may optimally help in reducing skin allergy and sensitiveness with the sun to those who suffer from photosensitive diseases. Beta-carotene and biotin help in protein metabolism. These are helpful in maintaining skin texture and make skin shining. Your hair and nail enamel also become healthy and shiny. So, try to eat in the form of salads prickled with black salt for improved taste and easy digestion.
2. Works wonder towards reducing weight: Carrots consist fiber (2.8 gm out of 100 gm) and fat (0.2 gm out of 100gm), carbohydrate (9.6 gms out of 100gms) and protein (0.9 gm out of 100gms) shows that when you take in raw form it will help to burn out your extra fat and gives vibrant response in weigh management. Drink 1 glass(medium) of carrot juice mixed with gooseberry and black gapes every day. You will find amazing results after one week as you may sense that your body is losing fat and you become slimmer. I have personally used it and seen fantastic improvement.
3. Improve eyes muscles and improve vision – The orange and red colors of carrots are due to the presence of an antioxidant i.e. beta-carotene which converts to Vitamin A and plays a very important role in eye health and improves vision. It also removes the dark circle around your eyes. Carrots contain the antioxidant Lutein and Zeaxanthin, this combination may help prevent tightening the muscles, vision loss and macular degeneration in when aging starts.
4. Averting cancer possibility – Multiple research says that beta carotene (an antioxidant), lycopene and polyacetylenes are responsible information of carrot’s colors (purple, yellow, orange) may help reduce the risk of leukemia and other cancers and chronic diseases.
5. Keeps lungs in a healthy condition – The presence of different types of antioxidants provides a shell to protect the lungs from chronic infections which may lead to lung cancer. So, eat carrots on a regular basis it also fights with pollutions and keeps your lungs healthy.
6. Good for heart and cardiovascular diseases – The presence of potassium and antioxidant helps in relaxing your blood vessels and reduce the risk of heart diseases and maintains the blood pressure level. It is equally important to diabetic patients who have constraints to eat sugary vegetables or fruits.
The main plant compounds or antioxidants in carrots are as follows;
A. Beta carotene: Orange carrots are very high in beta carotene. The absorption of this antioxidant is up to 6.5-fold if the carrots are cooked. [ 2-3 carrots per day are sufficient to eat per day that gives 6-10 mg of Beta carotene means 10,000 to 20,000 units of Vitamin A ]
B. Alpha-carotene: An antioxidant that, like beta carotene, is partly converted into vitamin A in your body.
C. Lutein: One of the most common antioxidants in carrots, Lutein is predominantly found in yellow and orange carrots and is important for the eye.
D. Lycopene: A bright red antioxidant found in many red fruits and vegetables, including red and purple carrots, lycopene may decrease your risk of cancer and heart disease.
E. Polyacetylenes: Recent research has identified bioactive compounds in carrots that may help protect against leukemia and other cancers.
F. Anthocyanins: These are powerful antioxidants found in dark-colored carrots.