Bay Leaf is also known as Cinnamomum Tamala (Indian Bay Leaf), Laurus Nobilis, Bai Kra Wan(Tahi Name), It is an evergreen large shrub primarily found in Mediterranean region(India, Bangladesh, Thailand, Srilanka, and China) mainly used in our cooking. No food is complete if a bay leaf is not included. Bay leaf has been used since so many years in India. Apart from food, bay leaf is used to treat diseases in our traditional system. There are numerous health benefits of bay leaf.
In Ayurveda, the health benefits of the bay leaf have been described very clearly. It helps in controlling diseases and keeps most of the internal body organs active. There are numerous health benefits of Bay Leaf and it shall be taken on a regular basis whether be it in food, spices, in the form tea or its powder with honey or other herbs.
Here we are not claiming that diseases in which Bay Leaf gives relief and help broadly to cure for the specific instance. Basically, It depends on person to person and with age. People generally ask the scientific evidence for any herbs and shrubs which may help remove the disease. It may a topic for research but most herbs are very useful and may have some side effects, if not taken under expert’s supervision.
But, if we talk about our Ayurvedic therapy (India’s traditional health care system) there are ample examples and have always proved that people who use any herbs or shrubs with the proper guidance of the ayurvedic doctors (Vaidyas) or those who have been associated with a long time with Ayurveda definitely have their takes stronger in proving that this ayurvedic preparatory medicine broadly helps in curing diseases and give new life to body’s organs. So, here I will discuss and draw your attention to how bay leaf helps your body and gives maximum relief or maintains the body’s harmonic changes so that you become healthy for a longer period.
What Bay Leaf(Tej Patta) contains?
The Bay Leaf contains about 1.3% essential oils, consist of 45% eucalyptol, 12% other terpenes, 8-12% terpinyl acetate, 3–4% sesquiterpenes, 3% methyl eugenol, and other α- and β-pinenes, phellandrene, linalool, geraniol, terpineol, and contain lauric acid also. (Source Wikipedia)
Health Benefits of Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- India Bay Leaf (Tej Patta) is primarily used in cooking. It enhances the taste of foods. It stimulates our digestive enzymes and helps improve the digestion of food and reduces flatulence, abdominal bloating, indigestion, cough, and cold and also used in asthma patients.
B. It has anti-spasmodic, anti-inflammatory,anti-microbial,anti-diabetic,anti-tubercular, anti-flatulent and it is enriched with antioxidant property. Using an optimum level or as directed by the ayurvedic physician (Vaidyas) it is useful in different diseases. It helps in the following diseases;
a. It controls Vata and Kaph dosha and eliminates the impurity from the blood. You need to take 2-3 grams and boil it for 5 minutes. Put for some time off from heat and once it comes at lukewarm condition take sip intermittently. It will help to release cold and balance kaph dosha. You can also take it with honey for cough and cold.
b. You can use herbal tea in the morning session which helps to improve your digestion and make you stress-free. It also helps in purifying the urinary tract and keep the bladder in a healthy condition.
How to use it?
- It has an antispasmodic and carminative property which helps in abdominal pain and eliminates bloating. The body releases gas which got accumulated due to some junk food intake.
- Health benefits of Bay Leaf are remarkably seen in reducing bad cholesterol and triglycerides. You need to take 2-3 grams bay leaf, 2-3 grams cinnamon and 3 cloves. Boil them and have like herbal tea twice in a day. Slowly it will reduce cholesterol and balance your sugar level to keep fit.
- Bay leaf contains a range of antioxidants and antiseptic such as α-pinene, β-pinene, limonene, linoleic, methyl chavicol, nerol, α-terpineol, and movie. These compounds are beneficial for the skin. On the other hand, the bay leaf contains vitamin C that can protect the skin against damage caused by free radicals.
D. It helps to normalize blood pressure (high blood pressure). Need to have 3.-4 leaves boiled in water helps to reduce the high blood pressure and ensure the circulation of blood goes in a normal way.
How to use it?
- Bay leaf helps in reducing sprains, rheumatism, and arthritis and fights with inflammation. It is also useful in migraines and backaches.
- Tejpatta is rich in phytonutrients. It is effective in treating cardiovascular diseases. They may improve the functioning of the heart and prevent heart attacks.