Digital Amnesia & Disruptive Lifestyle
Let’s understand what is Digital Amnesia!
The excessive use of mobile phones or smartphones can result in digital amnesia and a disruptive lifestyle for those who are addicted. I am throwing some light on the digital amnesia and unbalanced lifestyle of today’s youth. Today’s lifestyle is filled with negative thoughts, an ambiguous mind, a bushed-up body, and constant impatience. Our younger generation is seized by a fast-changing lifestyle and cross-cultural transformation.
They are encapsulated with digital and social media’s revolutionary dimensions. The dimension is not a revolutionary, but rather a disruptive revolution that has altered the entire way of life. Mobile and social media are killing us day by day and creating a huge gap between the thought process and attitude. A disruptive lifestyle with mobile and social media has created a vacuum in personal and social life.
I am not a critic of social media and gadget phobia, but it is disheartening to see how it has replaced social ethics and has taken us away from social obligations.
It is not the issue of the younger generation who are getting inflicted, but more or less all of us are being victimized. It has become a part of our daily life and we cannot escape with digital technology, but at least we can minimize its usage and make our habit to stay away to get relaxed for a specific period. It will have a direct impact on our eyes and ears as well as protect our cognitive areas in balancing thought processes and behavioral changes.
I chose this topic because people’s attitudes are changing, as is their body language, but it is also being observed that health parameters are declining.
People are suffering from weak eyesight and hearing problems, becoming short-tempered, losing patience, reactive to small issues, memory loss, migraine, dizziness, and cervical spondylitis.
But the counting doesn’t stop here. The three major diseases such as brain tumor/cancer, infertility in men, hearing aid problems are at greater risk. Addiction to the Smartphone could weaken our cognitive area and ability to retain new information and memory loss.
Researchers have found that excessive use or continuous swapping of fingers and maneuvering eyes continuously on mobiles may take you towards some major health issues such as headache, impaired concentration, memory loss, and fatigue.
I intend to create some awareness and request them to follow some practices in terms of Yoga and exercise, which will help them to improve their health, keep them energized, to eliminate negative thoughts, enhance their cognitive thought process to reduce stress and anxiety. Always use a mobile phone, and ear lids can damage your retina and reduce your hearing ability.
We need to focus on minimizing the use of mobile phones & electronic gadgets and change our daily routine work. Opt for yoga and meditation as well as a healthy diet to keep your body in shape and mentally fit.
Tips to follow-for Fit Body, Healthy Mind, and Positive Attitude
- Minimize using your mobile and electronic gadgets as much as possible.
- Do 10-15 minutes of meditation in the morning session to keep yourself focused on any specific subject or object so that you may improve your concentration power to think beyond. Besides, you can do Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) for overall robust development. It works wonders! You can overcome stress and anxiety.
- Try to wake up early in the morning (those who have night shift jobs may opt for evening sessions) and go for a brisk walk and do some light body stretching exercises. This keeps you fresh and cool while also keeping your heart rate moderate and controlling your blood pressure.
- Do five (5) minutes of exercise for the eyes: Rotate your eyes in a circular direction (clockwise and anti-clockwise) for 1-2 minutes while doing yoga practice in the morning (preferably) session. It gives strength to your eye’s muscles and increases the performance of the retina. After that, try to focus on one object for a few minutes or as much as you can. It will improve your concentration. Once you complete these steps, you can close your eyes and sit for meditation while remembering any spiritual icon or deity or god in whom you follow and have faith according to your choice.
- Try to fix your focus between the eyes on the forehead and try to understand what you are? Feel your heartbeat and remain relaxed in an easy body posture for about 15-20 minutes. These steps will keep you cool, calm, and stress-free. You can also chant the Gayatri Mantra for the fitness of your mind and body.
- You can do Pranayama (Inhaling and Exhaling) and breathing exercises, Kapal Bhati Kriya to eliminate negative thoughts. It purifies blood and soul. Yoga helps immensely in reducing stress and anxiety. It will correct your thought process and keep the body’s organs in a healthy condition. It rejuvenates your soul. The current generation has shown a great inclination towards yoga practices to keep the body healthy. But, at the same time, it has been understood the repercussions of excessive use of gadgets and its implications on the body and mind. So, make sure you use it wisely and have to be aligned with your job demand rather than sticking and swapping fingers all the time on the mobile screen.
- To overcome digital amnesia, plan an outing with your loved ones/friends, and family. Keep aside your mobile and enjoy it as much as you can. Leave aside everything which makes you stupendously indulged in social media for some specific period. It will give you a soothing effect on your mind and balance harmonic imbalances.
- Sneak your time from your leisure period to engage yourself in re-arranging room furniture and enjoy yourself with family members, preparing good foods, and exploring little things which create happiness among your family members. Because digital amnesia disrupts your daily lifestyle and keeps you away from togetherness.
- You can also make yourself engaged in reading some interesting books/novels to divert your thoughts to knowledge enhancement and may reduce stress levels.